Terms & conditions
Thank you for coming into the discussion, but before you comment, please take a minute to read through our conditions and rules.
The Japan Times Online would like to encourage free dialogue as well as constructive feedback. However, for your protection and our protection, we must reserve the right to keep discussions clean, civil and focused.
Initial comments will be moderated. While we will process these messages as quickly as possible, we will make no guarantee as to when they appear on the site.
Differences of opinion are inevitable, but please take a deep breath and consider the consequences of your comment before you submit it. Also consider how your comments will be interpreted, or misinterpreted.
Your comments will be archived, so avoid posting anything that you might regret later.
By commenting on this site, you grant us the right to reproduce your comments, royalty-free. (These may appear on other Japan Times sites as “most recent comments.” They will not, however, be reproduced in any other context.)
Please limit you comment to the topic of the blog post. If you would like to make a general, unrelated comment about Japan or anything beyond the scope of the post topic, this is not the place to post it.
We reserve the right to delete any comment; however, these are the general guidelines upon which we will base our decision. Messages that will be subject to deletion include ones that:
- Contain any content deemed libelous or defamatory
- Contain offensive, or sexually explicit language
- Are personal, abusive or threatening comments directed at writers, staff or clients of The Japan Times, or other users of The Japan Times Online.
- Disparage a person’s race, religion, color, gender or sexual orientation.
- Display willfully disruptive behavior.
- Are of a commercial nature or inappropriately promote another site or company.
- Contain links to sites deemed inappropriate.
- Are nonsensical and/or unrelated to the related story.
- Contain obvious copyright violations.
- Are written in a language other than English (though, when appropriate, the mention of non-English words is acceptable.)
- Endorse any unlawful activity.
The Japan Times will not be held responsible for any misinformation in comments, nor do the opinions contained in comments represent the views of The Japan Times.
Those who repeatedly violate these terms will be banned from posting comments. If abusive behavior persists, we reserve the right to take legal action against the abusive parties.
Although the removal of comments or banning will not necessarily be explained, offenders may initially be warned of their behavior. The moderators’ decisions will be final.
The Japan Times reserves the right to change these guidelines at any time, so when in doubt, please refer back to this page.