For no immediately apparent reason, Dec. 10 has been officially approved by the Japan Anniversary Association as “Gomenne no Hi” (“I’m sorry” Day) in Japan. To commemorate the occasion a site called Ayamari Bijin (Beautiful Girls Apologizing) has been counting down the days to the event with a new video of a different woman apologizing uploaded each day.
Most of the apologies are pretty mundane stuff like “I’m sorry for being late to the office, I slept in,” but there was the odd one that made me chuckle. Here are a few of my faves:
- “The other day on the train I gave my seat up, saying ‘please sit down sir.’ Actually it wasn’t an old man, it was an old lady. I’m sorry.”
- “I was eating sushi with my friend and put tons of wasabi under hers when she wasn’t looking. Sorry.”
- “I’m too tall and always hog the space under the kotatsu (heated table). Sorry.”
- “When I was a child I used to put the food I hated on my older brother’s plate. Sorry.”
- “Dear mum, you finally made me walnut bread, but it was so horrible I threw it down the toilet. Sorry.”