Here are the latest Pulsations, links to fresh stories and visuals about Japan, shout-outs to fellow bloggers, and highly clickable stuff that we think you might enjoy.
In no particular order, they are . . .
- Eikaiwa Underworld: Lessons Taught, Lessons Learned (from Japan Subculture Research Center): Repeat after us: “Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes.”
- Paying and Avoiding NHK (from Mutantfrog Travelogue): Tired of NHK knocking on your door from NHK? Click on.
- The Lead Poisoning Thesis (from Frog in a Well): Did toxic makup reeeally contribute to the fall of the Tokugawa regime? Do tell.
- Addictive ads (from Pink Tentacle): Pre-Don Draper advertising in Japan: “Defense for country, tobacco for society”
- The Premium Pricing “Problem” (from Néojaponisme): Japanese are renowned for paying top dollar for imported luxury goods, but is it their fault?
- Modern Times (from Ampontan): The Terminator needs Japan’s support for the California bullet train project, but should a country be lending money it doesn’t have to a “deadbeat subnational government”?