At the end of 2014, YouTube took a look back at some of the fun, freaky and unforgettable videos that went viral over the past year. Titled “YouTube Rewind,” the official retrospective (which has 50 million views) gave special recognition to dozens of online personalities, including Kid President and Jenna Marbles, who YouTube decided were the top of class in 2014.
Japan was well represented with 14 YouTubers joining the global ranks. Their talent ranges from makeup tutorials and video game walkthroughs to clever pranks and English lessons. Without much further ado, here are the top YouTubers from featured in Rewind 2014:
1. Aichi Ono (7,000+ subscribers)
- Aichi Ono, aka Spinboy, has a pretty thick skull. He is a performer that does dances and tricks while spinning on his head. He also gives behind-the-scenes looks at breakdancing practices.
2. Bilingirl (300,000+)
- Chika “Bilingirl” Yoshida’s classroom is YouTube, and she uses her videos to teach Japanese people the proper and natural way to speak English. She also happens to be a contributor to The Japan Times ST.
3. Hajime (900,000+)
- Hajime reviews toys and food in a silly and slapstick manner. Whether it’s putting candies up his nose or kvelling over curry, he keeps his subscribers entertained and in the know about products.
4. Hikakin (1,475,000+)
- Human beatboxer Hikakin has drummed up more 300,000,000 views on YouTube. He usually makes beatbox covers of hit songs including Disney’s “Let It Go” and even collaborates with pop stars like Ariana Grande.