arrow10 Comments
  1. Keith
    Jul 20 - 11:22 am

I went to Giants vs. Lions game this season at Tokyo Dome. The most impressive thing was the beer girls as they are the best athletes in the stadium! Those pony kegs they carry on their backs are heavy and they never stopped moving up and down stairs the entire game. Most are cute with happy smiles. But I later met a friend of a friend who was beer girl for Carps when she was 19. She said it’s good money but really hard work and she got tired of dealing with men staying stupid/moronic things to the her. She said they smile all the time but inside they are not happy dealing with some of the nonsense.

2. daniel
    Apr 10 - 1:45 pm

Nakore – I hope you didn’t mistake that as my own personal opinion – I was translating part of a 2ch post. Here’s what the original Japanese looks like:

1 美人(遠くからでも目立つよう化粧は濃い目がいい)
    2 コスチューム(ミニスカートかショートパンツがベスト)がいい
      (球場によりユニホームが決まっていますが)
    3 かなり近くで注いでくれる(ほのかな香水のかおりがすれば最高)
    4 愛想がいい 返事がいい
    5 巨乳(あくまで私の個人的希望です)

And the original link: http://oshiete1.goo.ne.jp/qa4934671.html

The uriko does a great job of deflecting the comment – she says “That’s a comment you’d expect from a man! … 1, 2 and 5 might be a little difficult, but I’ll try my best for 3 and 4.”

3. Nakore
    Apr 10 - 4:17 am

“5. Giant boobs (this is just my own personal taste)”

Glad to see this remark made it in here. As it is, I just don’t get enough creepy, hentai-directed sexism while reading about Japan on the internet. Thanks for setting the bar a little lower for us all!

4. Carole
    Mar 30 - 12:53 pm

I think there are many types of beer vendor management companies. I’d say the job is not really restricted to girls, rather it was started out as young boys part time jobs with high salary. Sometimes those who manage these vendor staff are actually the same companies that run food stands at the event venue. There may be vendor staff hired for some promotional campaigns in which there is no male staff. Believe it or not, almost all atheletc events are male dominant (in natural way) so I unerstand that they want to have more girls staff to sell beers to their male customers.

5. daniel
    Mar 27 - 8:27 pm

Pellegrini and Steve: I wonder if guys manning keg backpacks is a recent phenomenon – the last time I went (admittedly a while back), it was definitely all women. And if it is a recent phenomenon, I wonder why things have changed. More options? Less women willing to do the work?

Another question: Do they make the dudes wear short shorts? I think/hope not.

6. Steve Novosel
    Mar 27 - 7:42 am

Depending on the stadium there are quite a few male beer vendors. Chiba Marine has a few who carry kegs, and last time I was in Kyocera Dome at least 20% of the keg-carrying beer vending staff were male.

What’s even more impressive is how they can survive the different weather conditions throughout the year wearing the same uniform. Last night was Chiba’s home opener and it dipped down to 5 or 6 degrees or so. These hard working ladies were wearing the same outfits they would be wearing in August heat. I asked a vendor friend of mine if she was cold; she paused and said “Very, very cold.” Salud.

7. Pellegrini
    Mar 26 - 11:13 am

The kegs are very small soda kegs. Can’t give an exact weight, but they are not very heavy.

The article above says that “no men sell beer at baseball games here”, but that is not the case.

While keg-carrying beer salesfolk are nearly always female, the same can not be said for those selling cans and bottles of beer and happoshu. At Jingu stadium, for example, bottled-beer is sold exclusively by roving male sales staff.

8. Wake
    Mar 25 - 8:23 am

How much do the kegs weigh?

9. Harry Teeuwen
    Mar 24 - 7:59 pm

The beer carrying itself with such a big backpack is not new. In Holland at many rock concerts this can be seen as well. I was amazed because they were carrying a full backpack with a beer pump and a filling pistol so you can have a”moving around” draft beer from one of these girls. I only don’t know if its were only girls (I only saw girls in Holland) or maybe an occsasional boy as well….

10. craig zabransky
    Mar 24 - 1:38 pm

I went to a ball game in Tokyo once, and the ‘beer’ ladies circled us like sharks. We didn’t complain. In fact, it made for a more memorable experience. for anyone traveling to Japan, a ball game is a must.

stay adventurous,